Friday, 11 November 2011

To blog or not to blog?

I’ve always been a skilled accumulator of chores. Maybe they’ve just amassed under my many To Do lists (Daily, Weekly, Ongoing, Long Term and To Do but Know I’ll Never Get Round To Ever lists); internet errands, diary to write, epilation to do, photos to edit, photos to upload, swims to swim, emails to respond to, yoga to make time for, cards to make, sweet potato brownies to bake, clothes washing to take, itunes to update –surprised I’m always late? 

Paradoxically, combined with procrastination such chores become double chores, chores², thus taking double the amount of time to carry out. As anyone who has ever been to university can tell you (or rather anyone who actually worked at university can tell you) procrastinating can itself be a great time-consuming chore. This tends to give me very late bedtimes, unless it is something that has always been engrained in my genetic makeup - which only leaves my ancestry to blame.
Hence, part of the beauty of nipping outside of Europe every now and then has to be the release from some of these everyday time absorbing tasks, and to achieve earlier bedtimes. Whilst blogging sits in the foggy area of categorisation, flitting around somewhere between classification ‘chore’ and classification ‘enjoyable task’, I left the UK with the resolution that I would choose not to blog for this trip. Why?

     1) Because it’s one less thing on the To Do list (even if the list does not exist in its physical form)
     2) Let’s face it, they’re pretty self-absorbed. Look at me look at me and my philanthropy!    
     3) If I could amount the number of life hours already spent in front of my laptop as it is, I’d probably vow never to use one again/delete my Facebook account/continue to promise to myself never to sign up to Twitter, in spite it being cleverer and much cooler than Facebook.
     4) My traineeship has already started, so why start a blog over a month in?
     5) There are so many amazing existent blogs out there, I could never match such ingenious/succinct/witty/compelling content. (Defeatism?).
     6) I always write too much. I can’t help it.
     7) Earlier bedtimes sound good.

Ah, but fuckit, the thing is…


    1) Being away makes me think more
    2) Being away makes me want to write more.
    3) Most of you who are reading this I care about a great deal. It sounds cheesy but maintaining my ties and friendships while I’m away is something that is important to me, and part of that involves sharing, I believe. So here’s my effort to keep in touch and to keep you in the loop with my little world of thoughts and learning, if you’re curious to do so. A wee little umbilical cord of communication between us (I was going to include the words nourishing, or nurturing and symbiotic relationships in this sentence…but…too much?). 

So further on down the line, in a couple of months’ time when you feel like I’ve forgotten about you and Brighton life, and when all that comes to mind is me frolicking in a warm heavenly-tinted romantic bliss in on the beach of some hot tropical climate on the other side of the world drinking an icy mojito to yet another lazy sunset with a whole new group of international, trilingual, quick-witted, musical, multi-talented, athletic, better-looking friends…just check into this blog and remember that I’m posting, not for me, but for you –to keep the connection. 

Look at me look at me and my philanthropy!

P.S. I’m still in Delhi by the way, getting used to rare travel luxuries of a/c, en-suite and buffet breakfasts. I do have thoughts I’d like to share with you already but it’s gone 5am, and I have emails to refresh, a diary to write, teeth to brush, yoga to do and pre-procrastination to be getting on with, so bye for now x

6 comments:

  1. I don't read, can't, it repulses me, it's a chore, I want to but don't, I never give myself the time... so reading your blog will just have to be our little secret don't tell anyone, especially me because I have built up this whole identity around not reading and definitely not finding out more about the things that really interest me... my dissertation research or lack of is testament to this!
    Reading this was great, couldn't stop laughing, your just so Leah Cowan it's funny!
    much love fredx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. "look at me look at me and my philanthropy" and the procrastination woes of the western world, leah darling you hit the fucking nail on the head. Your escaping out of europe is my hermitting in tiny coastal hamlets and remote isolated islands with wilderness, weather, and tent tribes. But internet follows us everywhere, even to thee remote islands were i watch whales from, and so no matter what I too will loose sleep from the "to do's" of today tomorrow and never. And despite the exhaustion of it, secretely revel in it. Solidarity sista! I'll be eating in every word you write. Love you girl, so proud.
    xo
    Robyn
    lala salama dada yangu (when the blogging, emailing and picture uploading is finished)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one are very glad you have decided to blog. I have very much enjoyed reading your thoughts. As I sit here on a gloomy Sunday evening preparing for school tomorrow I envy the 'hot tropical climate and the lazy sunset'Looking forward to hearing some more 'journeys in India'. love to you Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both articulate and witty. I'll eagerly look forward to the forthcoming updates. Leah, I salute you! Bon chance!

    ReplyDelete